UTRGV Symposium on Mathematics and its Applications
A meeting in honor of Professor Emeritus Lokenath Debnath
April 7, 2018, The University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley-- Edinburg Campus
Dr. Bhatta, Dr. Gkioulekas, Dr. Bracken,
Welcome to the web page for the UTRGV Symposium on Mathematics and its Applications: A meeting in honor of Professor Emeritus Lokenath Debnath. The Symposium will be held on April 7, 2018 at the Edinburg campus of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. It is organized by the School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley in honor of our colleague, Professor Emeritus Lokenath Debnath.
Dr. Debnath joined The University of Texas Pan American-one of the two legacy institutions of The University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley--as Professor and Chair of the Department of Mathematics in 2001 and served as our Department Chair for 10 years. He has been a leading force in building up our department from a teaching-oriented department to one that became very active in research. He has published more than 300 papers in research journals in Pure and Applied Mathematics and in Mathematics Education and several books that have been very successful with several reissued in multiple editions. Beyond his research and leadership, he has also been a devoted mentor to all faculty that he recruited to our Department, and gave much of his time to work with us, offer advice and help us succeed. We have decided to organize this Symposium in his honor to thank him for everything that he has done for us and for nearly two decades of service to our institution.
List of External Participants
- Biswanath Datta, Department of Mathematics, Northern Illinois University, submitted abstract
- Jayanta Debnath, Department of Pathology, University of California San Francisco, submitted abstract
- Ahmed Zayed, Department of Mathematical Sciences, DePaul University, submitted abstract
- Jerry Bona, Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science The University of Illinois at Chicago, submitted abstract
- Sudipto Roy Choudhury, Department of Mathematics, University of Central Florida, submitted abstract
- Norma Padron, College of Population Health, Thomas Jefferson University, confirmed speaker
- Prabir Daripa, Department of Mathematics, Texas A\&M University, submitted abstract
List of Internal Participants
- Karen Yagdjian, School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, submitted abstract
- Baofeng Feng, School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, submitted abstract
- Muhammad Bhatti, Department of Physics and Astronomy, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, submitted abstract
- Daniel Riahi, School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, submitted abstract
- Elena Poletaeva, School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, submitted abstract
Directions to campus and hotels
If you haven't done so yet, please arrange your hotel reservations. It is recommended that you have either your car or a rental car available to commute between UTRGV, hotels, and restaurants. If you have requested that we help you with transportation, please stay in the last 4 hotels on the list. They are next to the freeway, and there is dinner within walking distance.
- Parking: Parking is not enforced during the weekends on Zones 1,2,3 and in Visitor Parking. If you will drive to campus from Monday to Friday, If you will drive to campus from Monday to Friday, if you will need to order a visitor parking permit. Vistors can park in Zone 1 or Zone 2. For more details see the UTRGV Parking website and the UTRGV Campus map, noting that the Symposium will be hosted on the Edinburg campus.
- No State Tax: Conference participants that are employed by Texas state universities are not supposed to pay state hotel tax at the hotels. Please download, fill out, and provide the form Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate at the hotel check in.
- Border Patrol: Due to our proximity with the border, be sure to have your immigration documents or proof of citizenship with you, whether you travel by car or airplane. E.g. here is one of the border patrol checkpoints. You will need documents for the return trip, even if you are travelling by airplane.
- Lunch and Dinner: Complimentary lunch at the University Dining Hall, in honor of the participants, will be provided by the UTRGV School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences on Saturday to the speakers. You will be required to bring your nametag to the University Dining Hall, to eat at no charge. Some of the hotels above have dinner within walking distance. However, your best options, listed below, are accessible by car only.
Below are some of the nicer restaurants in our region. Getting there requires a car.
Within walking distance from UTRGV, we recommend: